Tuesday 29 January 2013

Dr. Gabor Mate at U of A International Week 2013

Last time I took a lecture was ... probably my university days when I didn't study so much ;)

I attended Dr. Gabor Mate's lecture.  He talked about how our behaviour, parents and society in culture relates to mental and physical disorder.  In his view, not only biologic condition but also life experience will influence our health.  The main idea I got from him was looking at a whole picture when it comes to diagnose.  That was an interesting moment when I found it similar to a wholistice medicine.

I  was surprised to see pack of audiences who couldn't get seat and so stood or sat in aisles.  Eventually extra audiences were moved to the other hall so that they could listen to him in skype broadcasting.

There "Hah ha"moment came for me.  His joke went like this.  "Staff asked me if I would use Power Point."  "So I said I would make a power point."  He was such an interesting man.  I had no perception before I joined it but I liked his talking and hope to hear again.

After his lecture, audiences had a chance to ask question and he answered it courteously.  I'm sure time was quite up.  Still more audiences wanted to talk to him.

This is a good way to educate ourselves.   I saw audiences in all ages from students to senior.  I often heard the words "Lifelong learning".  I didn't get what exactly it was.  Now I think "I see."








No comments:

Post a Comment